Deck Inspections - Look for Problems
The deck is an important part of your home. It's a place to relax, entertain, and enjoy the outdoors. But it's also important to make sure your deck is safe. Here are 4 things you should check on your deck regularly:
- Rotting wood. Wood rot is a common problem on decks, and it can be caused by moisture, insects, or both. Look for soft, spongy wood, and any signs of decay.
If you see any rot, it's important to repair it as soon as possible. One way to prevent wood rot is to seal your deck regularly. Sealing will help to protect the wood from moisture and insects. You should seal your deck at least once a year, but more often if you live in a humid climate.
If you do find any rot, you'll need to repair it. The best way to do this is to replace the affected wood. If the rot is extensive, you may need to hire a professional to repair your deck.
- Loose boards. Loose boards can be a safety hazard, and they can also make your deck look unsightly. Check all of the boards on your deck to make sure they're secure.
If you find any loose boards, tighten them or replace them as needed. To tighten loose boards, you can use a wrench or a screwdriver. If the boards are too loose to tighten, you'll need to replace them
- Rusty fasteners. Rusted fasteners can weaken the structure of your deck, so it's important to check them regularly. If you find any rusty fasteners, replace them immediately.
To replace rusty fasteners, you'll need to remove the old fasteners and then install new ones. You can use the same type of fasteners as the old ones, or you can upgrade to a more rust-resistant type.
- Unstable railings. The railings on your deck are there to keep you safe, so it's important to make sure they're secure. Check the railings for any signs of damage, and make sure they're properly attached to the deck.
If the railings are damaged, you'll need to repair them. You can do this yourself, or you can hire a professional.
In addition to these four things, you should also check your deck for any other potential hazards, such as:
- Missing or damaged steps
- Splinters or sharp objects
- Exposed nails or screws
- Loose or damaged hardware
- Debris or water buildup
If you find any of these hazards, it's important to fix them as soon as possible. By regularly inspecting your deck and making repairs as needed, you can help to ensure its safety and longevity.
Here are some additional tips for keeping your deck safe:
- Regularly inspect your deck for any signs of damage.
- Seal your deck at least once a year.
- Repair any loose boards or rusty fasteners immediately.
- Keep your deck clear of debris and water buildup.
- Have your deck professionally inspected every 3-5 years.
By following these tips, you can help to keep your deck safe and enjoyable for years to come. Need your deck inspected?
ABOUT 1st Choice Home Inspection:
1st Choice Inspection: The Best Inspection Company in Waukesha, WI
When you're buying or selling a home, condo or commercial building it's important to have a thorough inspection done by a qualified professional. That's where 1st Choice Inspection comes in. We're the best home inspection company in Waukesha, WI, and I am here to help you make the best decision on purchase or sale.
Here are just a few reasons why 1st Choice Inspection is the best:
The owner, Michael Schwitzer, is certified and experienced. Certified by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI), and a Certified Master Inspector® with 28+ years of experience inspecting homes, condo’s and commercial buildings in Waukesha and the surrounding area.
1st Choice Inspection is thorough. Our inspections are comprehensive, and I look at every aspect of your home, condo or commercial building from the roof to the foundation in Waukesha & surrounding communities.
A home and condo inspection includes an examination of the following:
- Exterior walls
- Windows and doors
- Electrical system
- HVAC system
- Interior walls
Commercial Inspections focus on the mechanical items within the building and also specific items at the request of the customer.
As the owner, Michael’s approach to business is based on customer satisfaction, As the ONLY professional and knowledgeable inspector who is also a LICENSED INSURANCE AGENT in the state. I will educate you on your new purchase and make sure you understand not only the inspection process but ways to improve it. I am happy to answer any questions you have.
We offer competitive rates and are on point. If you are looking for a cheap inspector, you will need to go elsewhere. The cheapest is never the best!
Why Hire an Inspector?
There are many reasons to hire a home inspector when you are buying or selling a home. An inspection can help you:
- Identify potential defects or problems with the home, condo or commercial building
- Make an informed decision whether or not to buy the home, condo or commercial building
- Negotiate a lower purchase price if there are defects
- Avoid costly repairs after you move in
What to Expect During a Home or Condo Inspection:
A home or condo inspection typically takes between 3 to 4 hours to complete. I will provide you with a written report that details my findings within 24 hours and usually the same day. The report will include a description of any defects or issues that should be addressed.
A commercial inspection typically takes longer and may require additional members of the team with specific specialties.
If you're looking for the best inspection company in Waukesha WI, look no further than 1st Choice Inspection. We will help you make the best decision for your home, condo or commercial building purchase or sale.
For more information about 1st Choice Home Inspection and their inspection services, email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at (414) 803-9678 to schedule an appointment.